Thursday, June 24, 2010

Around the world in 80 libraries

From the very beginning of my information search, using the online services seemed to have a much smaller focus than when I was doing the searching. Asking someone else put me into a mindset of being more concise in what I was asking and more accepting of answers. I think this has a lot to do with my internal thought process, the way I sort through possibilities and combinations, and understanding that this query is relatively open ended.

The Know It Now service was relatively fast and responsive. The conversation lasted 35 minutes and yielded 10 links to information, all of which I thought would be helpful. The librarian gave me information in a mix of other people to contact, like travel agents, independent sources, and some commentary, possibly their own experience. Some of my information needs were anticipated or interpreted by the librarian. For instance, I asked about staying in New Zealand, and the librarian sent me information about the cost of living. I got a sense that this conversation ended with a thorough search with all of my questions, at least the ones I have right now, are answered.

Ask a Librarian lasted for about 25 minutes and gave me only 2 links. This conversation was more brief and gave me less information. The librarian did not keep track of what had been asked and answered. For instance, the librarian asked me if I wanted to know how to find flight information, which I said I did, but then they did not follow up with that. I think the online environments suffer from lack of emphasis and the all too easy drifting between topics that results from different pacing and typing over each other. On the other hand, the librarian could have asked if all my questions had been answered the way the Know it Now librarian did.

Know It Now answered my question better than Ask a Librarian, at least for now. KIN gave me more information to use in helping me accomplish my goal. Maybe when I start using the information I got, I'll find that more isn't necessarily better. Since I've already done the search myself, and have been thinking about what kind of information I need, I'm already in the second step of searching. If I were coming at this cold and without a sense of personal impression, they might seem both services gave me equal access. One point I thought was particularly interesting is the question of home stay families. KIN took my question and gave me two different websites to try, but with the admonition of making sure it was safe. AAL gave me the same warning, but without a specific way to investigate the safety. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I had not given the first thought to whether home stays were safe or not, so even these anecdotal pieces of information were helpful to me.

Know It Know 24x7

Guest

What do I need to do in order to get to and stay in New Zealand for 3-6 months?
23:14:59


ad.valerie2
Hello. You've connected to your 24x7 online
reference service staffed by librarians across the state. Please wait one moment while I take a look at your question.
23:15:24


ad.valerie2
It sounds like contacting a travel agent would be the way to go here.
23:15:56


ad.valerie2
You could book your own flight and research things yourself, but it may be best to ask a professional.
23:16:23


ad.valerie2
I can point you in the direction of some government sites on obtaining a passport, etc.
23:17:07


ad.valerie2
http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
23:17:33


ad.valerie2
I'm guessing you'd also need a visa for a stay of that length. Is this for work purposes?
23:17:50


Guest
Thanks, that would be helpful. Any thoughts on finding a travel agent? I am also trying to make a budget, so I'd like to get a sense of what things cost
23:17:58


ad.valerie2
Ok.
23:18:06


ad.valerie2
Is this for work or pleasure?
23:18:07


Guest
I would like to take a class there
23:18:32


ad.valerie2
Ok, I'll see if New Zealand has a student visa or something like that.
23:20:23


Guest
Thanks
23:20:24

ad.valerie2
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/
23:21:06

ad.valerie2
It looks like folks from the US don't need a visa to visit New Zealand, and can stay for 9 months...but I'd definitely verify this with a travel agent before assuming the best.
23:21:47


ad.valerie2
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/visitors/imaccepted/default.htm
23:22:07

ad.valerie2
Here's some helpful info on currency rates, driving in NZ, etc.
23:24:41


ad.valerie2
http://www.expatforum.com/articles/cost-of-living/cost-of-living-in-new-zealand.html
23:24:46

ad.valerie2
Here's a site on the cost of living.
23:25:45

Guest
If there a way to find relatively cheap housing for a 3-6 month stay?
23:25:49


ad.valerie2
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzopportunities/lifestyle/costofliving/comparecosts.htm'
23:26:56

ad.valerie2
A Big Mac in NZ, for example, costs about $3.17 in US dollars.
23:30:08


ad.valerie2
I'll see about the temporary housing thing.
23:31:34


Guest
This is all great so far, thank you
23:31:43


ad.valerie2
Sure.
23:31:44

ad.valerie2
http://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/temporary-housing~216.html
23:31:51

ad.valerie2
Here's some info on temporary housing.
23:32:47


ad.valerie2
http://auckland.craigslist.org/apa/
23:32:55

Guest
Is there anything about staying with a host family?
23:33:04


ad.valerie2
And here are some apartments for rent in Auckland. I found them on craigslist.
23:34:44


ad.valerie2
http://www.justlanded.com/english/New-Zealand/Forums/Housing-Rentals/ACCOMODATION-IN-A-KIWI-HOST-FAMILY
23:35:23

ad.valerie2
http://www.homestayfinder.com/SearchHost.aspx?country=NZ
23:35:33

ad.valerie2
The last 2 sites are on host families.
23:35:57


ad.valerie2
I'd strongly suggest making sure these are safe.
23:37:08


ad.valerie2
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=%22travel+agents%22+%22cleveland+heights%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=9cf8b09982c85f48
23:37:19

ad.valerie2
As far as travel agents go, here's a list of
some in Cleveland Heights.
23:40:03


Guest
Thank you for all this. My last question is about finding ways to subsidize a trip like this. I'm thinking there might be scholarships available or something like that.
23:41:38


ad.valerie2
I know from experience that it's tough to find scholarship info online.
23:42:18


ad.valerie2
You may want to check with your local library directly on that one. Local scholarships are the best bet because you're more likely to get one, and they just aren't advertised online.
23:43:26


ad.valerie2
Nationwide competitons, in other words, are easier to find online but very difficult to obtain.
23:44:37


Guest
OK, I'll check at my library then.
23:45:42


ad.valerie2
Is there anything else you need tonight?
23:47:28


Guest
No, thanks for answering all these questions. There's a lot of parts to this and what you found will help me get started.
23:47:41


Guest
Can I get a transcript of this?
23:48:20


ad.valerie2
Is your email <emailaddress withheld>?
23:49:11


Guest
Yes
23:49:51

ad.valerie2
Then yes. Check with KSU's Study Abroad office or your advisor about scholarships, too. In addition to the library at both KSU and Cleveland Heights public.
23:50:00

ad.valerie2
Good luck!
23:51:09

Guest
Thanks. Goodbye!
23:51:12

ad.valerie2
Thanks for using our service. Come back again if you need help with another question.



Ask a Librarian
meeboguest681756: Hi. I would like to know how to get to and stay in New Zealand for 3-6 months

imaksulibrarian: you want to know how to find flights and a place to stay?

meeboguest681756: yes, and visa information

imaksulibrarian: ok please hold on while i search

meeboguest681756: thank you

imaksulibrarian: i found a site through new zealand immigration that list some requirements to travel there http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/

imaksulibrarian: there is a lso a link on there on how to apply for the visa

imaksulibrarian: as for finding a place to stay, that would depend on the area you wish to visit and a simple google search would probably be best for that. did you want to stay in a hotel? Hostel?

meeboguest681756: I would like to stay with a host family if possible

imaksulibrarian: is this a trip you are planning yourself or are you going with an organization r group?

meeboguest681756: I'm planning it myself. My plan is to take a class while I'm there, and then stay after the class ends.

imaksulibrarian: most times host families are set up through an exchange program through schools. you may want to contact the school where you will be taking classes to see if they have arrangements they can suggest.

imaksulibrarian: i have found a few sites that have people on there willing to do :host family stays" but you run the risk of not knowing if these people from some of the sites are who they say they are or safe.

imaksulibrarian: i would try and get in contact with the school to see if they have suggestions and if they know families they can vouch for

meeboguest681756: Ok, thanks for checking that

imaksulibrarian: no problem

meeboguest681756: Did you see anything about the cost of living?

imaksulibrarian: i will look hold on

meeboguest681756: thanks

imaksulibrarian: http://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/cost-of-living~101.html this is the cost of living site from the newzealnd gov. this site also has amny things you probably want to know about n.z from banking to employment.

imaksulibrarian: 1 new zealand dollar =0.7037 U.S dollars

meeboguest681756: That's helpful, thank you

imaksulibrarian: you are welcome

1 comment: